National Heart Month – programme ideas and resources
1st February - 28th February
Health Heart, Healthy Mind…..
Each year the British Heart Foundation, and associated other relevant organisations, promote a range of events and activities about keeping our hearts healthy as well as adjusting to living with heart conditions at any age.
Below we have listed a few suggestions as to how you might want to link this to relevant badges (click an image for badge details) in scouting, and then some resources that can help you do so – but if you have any suggestions / resources to add do let us know! Remember to follow The Scouts advice and guidance re virtual scouting.
Don’t forget to share what you get up to by submitting photos and some details!
If you have found this helpful why not take a look at March for more programme inspiration.
Resources & Support
Most of the following can be downloaded and adapted to suit your needs / section:
- The Scouts – some great different activities around the Emergency Aid Badge. First Responders , Emergency Super Heroes , Emergency 999, Say what you see, Medi-Call Emergency, Be an emergency aider (circulation) , Be an emergency aider (heart attacks and strokes) and Mini Medics as well as resources from partner Jaffa
- St Johns Ambulance – resources for delivering Emergency Aid. More on Greenbox too. Why not invite a suitable volunteer to deliver this in a series of break out rooms virtually perhaps. Young People could practice some skills (such as bandaging) using the scout necker on a Teddy Bear or a grown up!
- Great fun First Aid video (by real Doctors)
- A fun experiment video from The DadLab
- BBC Bitesize – Simply choose the relevant age range and go into the science section. Lots of videos and resources around the heart, human body and healthy eating.
- Online Scout Manager – if your Section uses this software there are lots of programme ideas that are ready to use, including those that will work well for virtual / remote scouting
- 1st Virtual Facebook – simply head into “Files” and pop in what you are searching for. Or perhaps you’d like a virtual session from someone – from healthy eating to a martial art (so if you have no local contact search on the Group for suggestions). Here’s a few direct file links to give you an idea of what is in there (you will need to join the closed Group to see them) – A Beaver Scout Quiz , Healthy Food & Exercise Power Point , Fruit & Veg and First Aid Memory Game ; Cubs Power Point
- British Heart Foundation – a range of leaflets and publications on a range of conditions, such as these ones for children
- American sites – some interesting games and activities , and on this one
health heart and mind image – Harvard University