Let’s make March all about science… – programme resources and ideas
1st March - 31st March
With British Science (STEM) week at the start of the month and Cambridgeshire Festival at the end of the month we thought we’d make March all about science! Both those have lots of fun events and activities to take part in.
We have listed a few suggestions as to how you might want to link this to relevant badges (see badge links below) in scouting, and linked to some other resources that can help you do so – but if you have any suggestions / resources to add do let us know! Remember to follow The Scouts advice and guidance re virtual scouting.
Don’t forget to share what you get up to by submitting photos and some details!
If you have found this helpful why not take a look back at National Heart month in February too.
Most of the following can be downloaded and adapted to suit your needs / your section:
- The Scouts – some great different science activities (including some great “make and do”) as well as free resources with partner Rolls Royce (whilst linked to Cub and Scout badges there is actually lots for all sections and / or many can be adapted).
- Why not invite a suitable volunteer (such as a parent or carer – who knows they might enjoy it so much they volunteer again!) or two to deliver a science session in a series of break out rooms .
- The DadLab has some great videos of some fun experiments, and is adding to the resources all the time.
- 1st Virtual Facebook – simply head into “Files” and pop in what you are searching for. Or perhaps you’d like a virtual session from someone, so if you have no local contact search on the Group for suggestions. Here’s a few direct file links to give you an idea of what is in there (you will need to join the closed Group to see them) – bath fizzers, complete programme plan for week 1 and week 2, plus fillers, for Cubs and some fun experiments for Cubs and for Scouts,
- Scoutadelic are planning to make March all about science too, take a look at their great YouTube resources.
- Free ideas and videos from this consortium of Museums (Locomotion, National Railway Museum, National Science and Media Museum, Science and Industry Museum and the Science Museum) – experiments range from Milk Magic to Instant Ice Cream
- 101 fun science experiments
- BBC Bitesize – Simply choose the relevant age range (Primary and Secondary) and go into the science section. Lots of videos and resources such as “Let’s Explore Light” to “Earth and Atmosphere”
- Online Scout Manager – if your Section uses this software there are lots of programme ideas that are ready to use, including those that will work well for virtual / remote scouting
- On a walk take a photo of the letters on road signs etc to spell out “experiment” (maybe link it to something like road safety or photography badges too)